This lentil soup is of a Hungarian based recipe and it is traditional to eat lentils during New Years day to symbolize money coming your way for the coming year.”
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups lentils – soaked, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, cubed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 carrots, diced
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1 sprig fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large stockpot, saute the onions in oil until they are glossy. Stir in garlic, paprika, celery, carrots, and saute for 10 minutes.
- Once the vegetables have sauteed for 10 minutes stir in tomatoes, chicken stock, lentils, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Stir well, then add the wine and bring the mixture to a boil. Slowly reduce the heat and cook for 1 hour on low to medium heat; or until the lentils are tender.
- Sprinkle the soup with parsley and Parmesan (optional) before serving.